Job Vacancy #28-17
Extension Agent, Family & Consumer Sciences
Adams County, Brighton, CO
Adams County offers the best of suburban and rural life – vibrant cities, quiet towns, and miles of recreation. Located in the Denver metro area, Adams is the state's 5th largest county serving a population of more than 450,000 residents. Adams County is a fast growing county, and home to the cities of Arvada, Aurora, Brighton, Commerce City, Federal Heights, Northglenn, Thornton, Westminster, the town of Bennett and unincorporated communities of Henderson, Strasburg, and Watkins.
The geographical area of the county is 18 miles by 72 miles. The eastern half of the county is agricultural; primarily cattle and dry land wheat production. The majority of the county's population lives in the western half of the county. The urban rural interface is home to numerous 2 to 40 acre parcels and small farms. The county seat is Brighton and the Extension office is located in Henderson on the Adams County Fairgrounds campus.
In addition to this position, the Adams County Extension office team includes: a county director/agriculture agent; four agents (4-H youth development, 4-H school enrichment and after school, horticulture, and family and consumer science); a small acreage coordinator; a horticulture technician/Master Gardener coordinator, and two administrative support staff. To learn more, visit the Adams County website at: www.co.adams.co.us, the Adams County Extension site at: www.adamscountyextension.org, or Colorado State University Extension at: extension.colostate.edu.
APPLICATION PROCESS AND DEADLINE: All materials must be RECEIVED no later than11:59 PM Mountain Time on Tuesday October 3, 2017. Please submit the following to https://jobs.colostate.edu to apply:
- Cover letter
- Transcripts of college(s) course work showing degrees conferred. Please remove all references to birth date or social security number prior to submission. Only one document upload is allowed, no larger than 9 megabytes. Please convert all transcript pages into one PDF File to upload.
- Please remember to include contact information for 4 professional references. References will not be contacted without previous notice to applicant.
- Special Required Documentation:
- Statement (no more than 5 pages) of how you meet all the "Required" and "Preferred" criteria listed in the Vacancy Announcement. Please respond to each bullet point separately. Only one document upload is allowed, no larger than 9 megabytes. Please convert your Statement pages into one PDF file.
PURPOSE OF POSITION: We are committed to increasing the diversity of our staff and providing culturally responsive programs and services. Therefore, we encourage responses from people of all backgrounds and abilities. We invite you to review Colorado State University's Principles of Community (http://bit.ly/2loxmvE) that guide our mission and vision of access, teaching, service and engagement. This individual will provide leadership for the overall Extension family and consumer sciences program in Adams County and also provide support for regional and state programming efforts. This individual will be responsible for partnering with and working through a variety of county and community partners to assess needs, plan, coordinate, deliver and evaluate programming that meet local needs in human and family development; community engagement: family financial stability; food safety and preservation; nutrition, health, and wellness as they relate to individuals, families and communities. The agent is expected to contribute to and strengthen the overall Extension programs offered in Adams County and to help build new audiences. This individual will also nurture existing, as well as develop new community relationships, partnerships, and volunteer opportunities in order to grow the educational potential for residents, the county and Extension.
Program Planning, Development, Delivery, Evaluation and Reporting: (70%)
- Provide leadership for an actively engaged family and consumer science program in Adams County. Seek out and develop local relationships, identify priority programming opportunities and develop, deliver, facilitate, evaluate and report outcomes to stakeholders.
- Develop, market, deliver and evaluate non-credit educational family and consumer sciences programming in response to locally identified needs in Adams County.
- Actively engage in community by developing relationships, facilitating programming, guiding conversations, promoting teamwork, and integrating university resources as appropriate to assist the community in addressing needs and interests. Maintain flexibility to address changing needs.
- Actively participate on Extension program and reporting teams to help focus, develop and implement local, regional and statewide program efforts.
- Collaborate with other Adams County and Extension staff to incorporate family and consumer science, community engagement and other expertise into community program efforts.
- Effectively communicate program direction, engagement and program outcomes to diverse county stakeholders. Develop means to ensure that programming compliments and supports the county's strategic plan.
- Participate in professional development opportunities as appropriate or required by the position.
- Assure compliance with civil rights and affirmative action policies including reaching out to underserved and underrepresented audiences.
*Note: % of job assigned to this duty may be changed as the program develops.
Initiate and Develop Relationships and Partnerships: (30%)
- Participate in, convene and/or facilitate focus groups, coalitions, advisory groups and diverse community groups to build community capacity and interdisciplinary programming.
- Work with advisory committees, community leaders, area agencies and non-profits to continually assess conditions and develop effective plans of work providing measureable program outcomes.
- Develop strong working relationships and coordinate resources, programming and research with other Colorado State University and Extension personnel/staff, community leaders, Adams County government, agencies, and institutions to enhance program development, delivery, and evaluation and reporting.
- Develop and partner in opportunities to generate external funding sources (grants, contracts, gifts, sponsorship's, user fees, etc.) to help support programming efforts.
*Note: % of job assigned to this duty may be changed as the program develops.
SALARY: Starting salary for this position will be in the range of $43,500 – $60,000 and will be commensurate with education and experience.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Completed master's degree. Degree must be completed before beginning the position.
- Minimum of one degree conferred in family and consumer sciences, human or early childhood development, social work, sociology, public or community health, family financial management, food science and nutrition, exercise science, wellness, gerontology , food safety, adult or Extension or early childhood education, community engagement, diversity or gender studies, workforce development, or a closely related field.
- Demonstrated commitment to and success in working with diverse audiences; this may include but is not limited to persistent effort, intentional programming, community engagement, allocation of resources and/or accountability for diversity outcomes.
- Evidence of drive, initiative and leadership skills.
- Experience in audience needs identification, program development, delivery, and evaluation of results.
- Demonstrated use of facilitation skills in public settings, experience working in community engagement and/or community capacity building.
- Demonstrated experience working with people as individuals and in groups; ability to forge equitable and successful partnerships with other professionals and organizations that produce results.
- Must have a valid driver's license or the ability to obtain a driver's license or access to a licensed driver by the employment start date.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
- Ability to speak, write, and deliver programming in both English and Spanish.
- Knowledge of and experience with conflict management.
- Experience working with advisory committees, community coalitions and/or focus groups.
- Experience marketing and/or delivering educational programming using online, mass media and/or social media methods.
- Successful experience in developing financial support for educational programs including grant writing, contracting, or cost recovery efforts.
BENEFITS: Based on full-time employment. Twenty-four working days vacation each year, 15 days sick leave. Enrollment in group health, life and accident insurance, various retirement plans, work injury benefits, and disability insurance are all available. Available personal transportation required, travel allowance provided. A full description of benefits is available at: http://www.hrs.colostate.edu/benefits/
Colorado State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
Colorado State University Extension operates in compliance with the same laws and executive orders as the University as administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. As a part of the USDA regulations, the Extension Equal Employment Opportunity representative may be contacted at 1311 South College Avenue, Room 102, Colorado State University.
BACKGROUND CHECK: Colorado State University is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Background checks may include, but are not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search and motor vehicle history.
Application process and additional information may be obtained at: https://jobs.Colostate.edu/postings/49327