Welcome to the
Council of Administrators of Family and Consumer Sciences (CAFCS)
CAFCS is a National organization of individuals who hold administrative roles in Family and Consumer Sciences in colleges and universities. This organization of 200 plus active and lifetime members began in 1960, with a group of administrators meeting annually at The Lake Michigan Conferences in Chicago. In 1966 they became an official organization known as the National Council of Administrators of Home Economics, holding their first stand-alone meeting in February of 1966.
The mission of CAFCS is to strengthen family and consumer sciences and related units in higher education through the development of excellence in administration. The organization seeks to achieve this mission by focusing on leadership development. The annual CAFCS meeting held in February is designed to focus on leadership skills. In addition CAFCS works collaboratively with the Higher Education Unit (HEU) of the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS) and the Board of Human Sciences (BOHS) to provide leadership development conferences for new and emerging administrators.
2020 Meeting - Registration Open
2020 Joint Board on Human Sciences (BoHS)/Council of Administrators of Family and Consumer Sciences (CAFCS) Spring Meeting
Feb 18-21, 2020, at the Embassy Suites by Hilton, Kansas City Plaza, 220 West 43rd Street, Kansas City, Missouri.
The Board on Human Sciences (BoHS) and the Council of Administrators of Family and Consumer Sciences (CAFCS) invite their members to the 2020 joint BoHS/CAFCS Spring Conference, themed Innovative Leadership in the Human Sciences.
More information and Registration Register for the Annual Conference and review the program and presenters here.
Call for nominations for the CAFCS Excellence in Administration Award
The Excellence in Administration Award recognizes an individual member of the Council of Administrators of Family and Consumer Sciences who has, over a significant period of time, made an outstanding contribution to the family and consumer sciences/human sciences profession. The recipient is honored at the BoHS/CAFCS meeting on Thursday, Feb 20 at the Awards Luncheon. To nominate a worthy colleague, please access the nomination criteria and form here.
CAFCS is a member of the Family & Consumer Sciences Alliance Branding Initiative, which communicates the value of the family and consumer sciences field. The icon conveys the essence of the field.
The Excellence in Administration Award recognizes an individual member of the Council of Administrators of Family and Consumer Sciences who has, over a significant period of time, made an outstanding contribution to the family and consumer sciences/human sciences profession.
Individuals nominated should have demonstrated achievements in a combination of the following areas through:
- Service and visionary leadership to the organized profession through CAFCS and other FCS related professional organizations
- Publication of a body of scholarly and/or theoretical writing contributing to family and consumer sciences/human sciences
- Grantsmanship/external funding to advance the growth and development of family and consumer sciences/human sciences programs
- Involvement in activities that promote increased enrollment, retention, and graduation rates in family and consumer sciences/human sciences programs
- Operational excellence shown through significant changes, modifications, or approaches that enhance university productivity, efficiency, and quality
- Influencing the planning and development of exemplary university programs through legislative efforts, implementation of models, establishment of guidelines, or the teaching and/or mentoring of future professionals
- Building interactions and partnerships that produce results
- Developing and inspiring others to achieve extraordinary leadership
- Developing an innovative process or procedure that directly impacts the entire university
- Influencing and enhancing the local community, region, or state
Current CAFCS Executive Committee Members and Directors are ineligible for nomination.
Submission of Nomination to the Award Selection Committee
CAFCS member or nomination committee submits the nominee to the Awards Selection Committee for consideration.
Format for Electronic Nomination Submission
- Name of nominee
- Full title of nominee
- University/college administrative position
- Nominee's home and office addresses, office telephone number, office fax number, and e-mail address
- Name and title of the immediate supervisor
- Number of years of service
- Name of nominator or list of nomination committee members
- Name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address of the chair of the nomination committee
- Original nomination form with nominator's text (description of nominee's achievements and specific examples of how the person meets a combination of some of the ten criteria)
- Provost's/dean's/senior vice president's letter of nomination and statement of support (one nomination letter is needed per nominee)
- Résumé or biographical information of nominee, including awards, honors, or other relevant activities
- References for nominee that may be contacted to discuss nominee's performance and/or criteria
Submit Nomination Form by email to:
Deadline for Nomination –
November 20, 2018 Extended: December 3, 2018
The recipient of this award will be honored at the Joint BoHS/CAFCS meeting in Hilton Crystal City at Washington Reagan National Airport, Arlington, VA
March 5-8, 2019
Council of Administrators of Family and Consumer Sciences
Important: You have canceled your online payment at Paypal.
Please note that your annual subscription has not been registered.
Council of Administrators of Family and Consumer Sciences
Thank you for your subscription and payment.
When your payment is processed, your receipt will be sent by Paypal. Please check your email.
if you have further questions.
Page 1 of 3