- Brent Elrod, Acting Division Director of the Division of Community & Education, Division of Family & Consumer Sciences, Division of Youth and 4-H at the National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) at the U. S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Dionardo E. Pizaña, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Specialist for the Justin S. Morrill Hall of Agriculture at Michigan State University
- Rachel Welborn, Associate Director for the Southern Rural Development Center at Mississippi State University
As America and the world grieve and come face-to-face with the serious and disheartening mistreatment that, sadly, is a part of African Americans’ daily existence,” we wanted to share with you information about the Coming Together for Racial Understanding (CTRU) initiative that was seeded by the Extension Committee on Organization and Policy (ECOP) following another season of anguish in our country in 2017. CTRU’s vision is to grow a community of (Extension) professionals ready to aid in fostering meaningful community conversations around race, leading to positive change. The foundation of the training is built upon four major principles:
1. The Cooperative Extension Service (CES) is well positioned to help organize and facilitate these challenging conversations, given their position as trusted community resources.
2. We must demonstrate in practice what we ask of the communities in which we live.
3. CES must do its own work around race before we can effectively engage communities.
4. We simply cannot provide leadership in an area where we are unprepared.
Dialogues are vital to understanding, and understanding is vital to healing and meaningful change. Please mark your calendars and join us for a conversation about how CTRU can be a steppingstone on the path towards a more enlightened and equitable world. Following a 12-minute presentation on the CTRU initiative, we will share and discuss how our colleges of human sciences and/or institutions are working for and moving toward a more equitable society for all.
To participate in this important Zoom "coffee break," please follow these directions:
Eddie Gouge is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Joint BoHS/CAFCS Zoom "Coffee Break" on Race Relations
Time: July 6, 2020 03:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 987 2744 0840
One tap mobile
+13126266799,,98727440840# US (Chicago)
+19294362866,,98727440840# US (New York)
Dial by your location
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
877 853 5247 US Toll-free
888 788 0099 US Toll-free
Meeting ID: 987 2744 0840
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/aboCQXmicx
We will look forward to talking and sharing with you on July 6th!